Thursday, August 26, 2010

Time to break out the garland!

No, it is still August and unlike the retail industry I don't plan to put my tree up next week.  I'm talkin' about birthday garland, are you still with me.  What? You have never heard of birthday garland?  Where have you been?  Just kidding, I made up the name yesterday when trying to describe it to someone.  Here is a peek at my DIY birthday garland:

This was a simple DIY decor project that I made for my daughter's birthday party.  I saw the idea somewhere a while back, it then became buried deep in the crevices of my mind and recently it made it's way to my daily thought process so I decided to roll with it.  The one I saw used 1 1/2 inch circles using different colors of paper.  Always trying to kick it up a notch, I decided to give mine a little umph and use 2 different size circles and a star.  I also used 4 different colors of paper.

To create this masterpiece you have to sew.  ** Note, you don't need to be a great seamstress!** Maybe, you only sew when you get a crazy idea in your head and have to call your mom to bring her machine over, and then you get a brief lesson. An hour later call your mom to determine why things are so uneven to learn that there is some claw thingy you need to put down, it holds things in place and everything come out nice and straight.  Not that I know anyone like that.  Not here in land of sewing pros, where the seams are straight and perfect.

Anyhow, this is so simple.  You just pick the shapes and or colors at random and sew them together.  I made a bunch of garland of varying lengths.  I plan to use fishing line to put them up under the canopy at my daughter's paar- tay.  And if, by the grace of God, they make it through the party in one piece I plan to hang them from the ceiling in her room. Then, we'll keep the party rocking all year!

Here is another looksy:
I think this idea could easily be changed for the holiday or season: some halloween, or Christmas or baby shower or 4th of July or completely random garland.  What ever you decide.  I'm also digging the whole room decor idea.  Think how much fun this could be in a babies room!

Here is one more look:

No comments:

Post a Comment