Tuesday, July 27, 2010

DIY: A simple centerpiece

I like to switch things up in our house often. I think it is because in the first 7 years of our marriage my hubby and I lived in 13 different houses.  I'm not kidding, I still owe my Mother-in-Law a new address book because she had to cross out and re-write our address so many times we spilled over from the R's to the Q's and maybe even the P's.  The good news is we have been in our house a while and plan to be here for several years.  But to keep that new feeling I like to switch things up frequently.

One of the easiest and cheapest ways to keep things fresh and interesting is to change accessories rather than large pieces. In the year we have lived in our house I know that we have had at least 9 different centerpieces, so needless to say I change them often.  A small item like a centerpiece can really change the feel of a room, especially in our house which is very open.


This is one of my favorite and most simple centerpieces:

It cost about $7, which is another reason to love it.  If you are an avid wine drinker you could bring it down to $2.  I loved the rectangle vase when I saw it in the craft section of you guessed it: Wal-Mart.  I brought it home and liked the way it looked on our rectangle table. Then I had to figure out what to fill 'er up with???  I wanted something different, not the typical rocks, flowers...ect.   They next week at Wal-Mart I saw these corks in a bag and I knew it was meant to be.  My hubby loves wine so it fit our personality too. I scooped up two bags of corks sand rushed home to join the cork and vase in holy decorating matrimony.  And ta daa!!  Isn't it a beauty? The best thing is I can easily take the corks out and use the vase for something else too,  maybe some acorns in the fall....oooo, I'm liking that!

Happy decorating : )

No comments:

Post a Comment